Apr 26, 2014

Innovation

This word has been the bane of my existence in this job. I dont know what it means, how its done and I gawk in awe at people who earn such fame with their innovative projects, whatever they may be. I was reading C.G.Somiah's autobiography and it struck me quite glaringly that in all his anecdotes (the book is more like a collection of anecdotes, very interesting to read, without much personal opinions), the work that the earlier generation of civil servants used to focus on and take pride in, was getting the system up and running properly by taking timely, sensible decisions over things, taking a stand on right or wrong and helping those in need by all the resources at their command. Much to its contrast, current day administration is more about innovative projects. All the things mentioned above are maybe taken for granted, taken as routine or maybe somewhere down the line, these expectations from officers itself has disappeared. Now a good officer isnt necessarily an honest guy who takes a stand in a tough situation in the larger interest of society. I find that increasingly, it is one who can manage all local forces - other departments, media, unions and other sundry pressure groups - such that no wrong messages go upwards and then as a bonus, roll out some new project once in a while.

I dont mean this in a demeaning manner. The fact is, this kind of management is a very difficult skill to hone and not everyone's cup of tea. Certainly not mine. And in addition to all that jugglery, to come up with interesting projects to work on, is really something. The only bee in my bonnet is, what about regular administration? Why isnt that a priority any more? What happens when the officer leaves and the project fizzles out? Isnt that a sheer waste of energy and effort? Isnt it necessary to discern between eye catching and meaningful innovations - those which are sustainable after the officer leaves, and continues to deliver long after it has, to use Weber's word, routinized? 

I dont know why, maybe all these questions are rising in my head because I am not a competitive person by nature and I find people always comparing me to others to assess how 'innovative' I am and it makes me so uncomfortable.. like a little school boy under the scrutiny of the strict school headmaster, maybe because I see so many 'innovative' projects lying wasted, like a street after a carnival.. maybe its because I am trying to work on a few long term projects and I am finding the going so so tough.. starting it was easy enough, but to put in place a system which will make the changes last is proving to be formidable.. and I am realising that this is the actual challenge, to 'make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas or products' ( thats the definition of 'to innovate' as per Oxford Dictionary) proper long term result yielding changes. 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Q,
    Do you still not have to get the system up and running by taking timely, sensible decisions; taking a stand on right or wrong and helping those in need by all the resources at your command ?
    The difference is that you now have to do it faster. You don’t have the luxury of taking your time to work things out to perfection. The information reaching 'higher-up' is now in a near real-time mode. And they get jittery. Given the stage of development we are in (of awareness and interpretation sensibilities of the public, their demand for information and of means of communication for it to reach them) this is only obvious.
    But what does one do if one can't get things straight sooner. Delay the process of everyone finding out. Better still, give them what makes them happy instead. 'Manage the information or manage those who carry it'. Unfortunately, this has increased so much in proportion to actually doing the work that there is no time for the latter.
    This is what is frustrating - having to do what u must to survive, like it or not. But if you are there, you can make a difference in the long run. The only choice, chuck it all and do what you are there for. For as long as you can survive that is.
    A king has to fight his wars to protect his kingdom. But he also has to ensure prosperity of what he protects. You can’t choose one. You can’t be cut out for only one.
    Btw, Q, are you from MIB or something ??
    Get a name. Tell us more about yourself. And please change your theme. The background and the font are the same colour !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for writing in 'MasterG'. Interesting views and an even more intriguing name! How did u guess the MIB factor? You know me from my blog and the theme I change periodically as per my mood. So I will change this as soon as I dust off the 'greys'..

      Delete