Mar 14, 2019

Lies, damned lies and politics!

   I dont know when I will get used to people around me lying. Even after all these years, it catches me by complete surprise to find that someone is complaining about me saying that I did or said the  very opposite of what I actually did say or do. The heights of this naiveté is that it surprises  me so even when this is done by a politician!

   Today was one such bizarre day! The guy calls in the morning (10 am) asking me when I will be in office. I tell him I am available around 12. He tells me some issue with a village and how his guys got left out of the talks those villagers had with the administration a day ago. I tell him to give me the contact of those guys . He says he will send them to me. He asks if he needs to come. I say that he does not 'need' to come, we will talk to those guys. He agrees very cordially and we end the conversation - I describe this with this authority because I have the call recording!

   Next thing I know is the guy is sitting on the road with 200 people objecting to a lifeline project for the city. When our people go to talk to him, he tells them and everyone else listening that he is forced to do this because I have refused to meet him!!!! 

   I am totally stumped and fuming at this blatant lie! But maybe, now that I think about it, lying really isn't a big deal for people any more is it? Relations based on trust, personal or professional, are easily subverted or compromised to attain any other immediate goal, without thinking of its long term consequences.. 

   Tomorrow I may have to meet him.. I had reserved choicest words for him.. But now I am thinking, whats the point of wasting my health on him by hyperventilating. He is but a reflection of the state of affairs today.. Maybe the best response to his behaviour would be to greet him with a zen like stoic-ness, without letting his shenanigans get the better of me? Easier said than done though!

No comments:

Post a Comment